This is not an exhaustive list of books about dye plants. These are books I have used in my own dye studies as well as when teaching others (in the classroom and in workshops).
Also, please note that some books, especially older titles, contain recipes using chrome as a mordant. I consider chrome too toxic to be used.
Links have been provided, when I have found useful ones. If the book is in print, the link is to the author’s or publisher’s page for that book. If out of print, the link will be a Google Books entry.
- Barber, Jacqueline. “Of Cabbages and Chemistry”. Berkeley, CA:GEMS (Great Explorations in Math and Science), 1993. This is a curriculum for exploring acids and bases, designed for 4th-8th graders. I have used it with modifications with 1st and 2nd graders so that we do not have to use safety goggles (e.g., I do not use drain cleaner).
- Bliss, Anne. North American Dye Plants. Boulder, CO: Juniper House, 1979.
- Bohmer, Harald. Koekboya: Natural Dyes and Textiles—A Color Journey from Turkey to India and Beyond. Ganderkesee, Germany: REMHOB-Verlag Dr. Harald Bohmer, 2002.
- Buchanan, Rita, ed. Dyes from Nature. Plants and Gardens–Brooklyn Botanic Garden Record Vol. 46 No. 2, Summer 1990. Brooklyn, NY: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1990.
- Buchanan, Rita. A Dyer’s Garden: From Plant to Pot—Growing Dyes for Natural Fibers. Loveland, CO: Interweave Press, 1995.
- Buchanan, Rita. A Weaver’s Garden: Growing Plants for Natural Dyes and Fibers. Mineola, NY: Dover Publications, 1999.
- Burgess, Rebecca. Harvesting Color: How to Find Plants and Make Natural Dyes. New York: Artisan books, 2011.
- Casselman, Karen Diadick. Lichen Dyes: The New Source Book. Mineola, NY: Dover Publications, 2001.
- Casselman, Karen Diadick. The Craft of the Dyer: Colour from Plants and Lichens. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1980.
- Dean, Jenny. Wild Color: The Complete Guide to Making and Using Natural Dyes. Revised and updated edition. Karen Diadick Casselman, consultant. New York: Watson-Guptill Publications, 2010.
- Epp, Dianne N. The Chemistry of Vat Dyes. Palette of Color Monograph Series. Middletown, Ohio: Terrific Science Press, Miami University, 1995.
- Epp, Dianne E. The Chemistry of Natural Dyes. Palette of Color Monograph Series. Middletown, Ohio: Terrific Science Press, Miami University, 1995.
- Fereday, Gwen. Natural Dyes. London: Unicorn Books and Crafts, 2003.
- Flint, India. Eco Colour: Botanical Dyes for Beautiful Textiles. Loveland, CO: Interweave Press, 2010
- Goodwin, Jill. A Dyer’s Manual. London: Pelham books, 1982.
- Grae, Ida. Nature’s Colors: Dyes from Plants. McMinnville, OR: Robin and Russ Handweavers, 1974.
- Lambert, Eva and Tracy Kendall. The Complete Guide to Natural Dyeing: Techniques and Recipes for Dyeing Fabrics, Yarns, and Fibers at Home. Loveland, CO: Interweave Press, 2010.
- Lesch, Alma. Vegetable Dyeing: 15 Color Recipes for Dyeing Yarns and Fabrics with Natural Materials. New York: Watson-Guptill Publications, 1970.
- Liles, J.N. The Art and Craft of Natural Dyeing: Traditional Recipes for Modern Use. Knoxville, TN: The University of Tennessee Press, 2010.
- McRae, Bobbi A. Colors from Nature: Growing, Collecting, and Using Natural Dyes. Pownal, VT: Story Publishing, 1993.
- Miller, Dorothy. Indigo: From Seed to Dye. Santa Cruz, CA: Indigo Press, 1999.
- Richards, Lynne and Ronald J. Tyrl. Dyes from American Native Plants: A Practical Guide. Portland, OR: Timber Press, 2005.
- Rieske, Bill. Navajo and Hopi Dyes. Salt Lake City, Utah: Historic Indian Publishers, 1994.
- Van Stralen, Trudy. Indigo, Madder, and Marigold: A Portfolio of Colors from Natural Dyes. Loveland, CO: Interweave Press, 1993.